Supersetting 101: Training acceleration tips and strategies
Working on losing weight, yet finding adequate blocks of training time to be a challenge?
Try changing it up, and building your regimen around a superset every training session. This simple approach isn’t a new exercise fad, and it’s not complicated. You’ll be surprised at how rapidly you can work supersets into your routine. And, how quickly you can start finding more training time. Let’s break it down:
Think of it as a kind of hybrid approach to training. It’s when you perform two or more exercises back to back, one immediately after the other, with no resting between movements. Since there’s no rest period, it’s a real time-saver, accelerating your workout time.
One quick superset example might be:
Combine a bicep curl and a shoulder press, one immediately after the other. Imagine that you have those two exercises to do. Your goal is to do 3 sets of each exercise, and 8-12 reps each.
- Complete the bicep curl set, 8-12 reps.
- Then, immediately transition to a shoulder press set, 8-12 reps.
- Once you completed your last rep of a shoulder press, rest briefly before beginning set two, 8-12 reps.
- And so on, until you’ve completed 3 sets of each exercise, and 8-12 reps each.
See how quickly that went? Think of all the exercises you do, then visualize how you can combine two of them sequentially.
Supersetting has very timely benefits
The reasoning behind the supersetting approach is simple: You can train two completely different muscle groups sequentially without exhausting the same muscle. And, you can save a lot of time.
Supersetting is especially beneficial if:
- You’re pressed for time. It helps you get more exercise in, faster.
- You’re looking to burn calories. Supersetting will burn more calories because it reduces the amount of resting between sets. (You might not be able to lift as heavy, but you will accelerate your heart rate and burn calories.)
- You hate cardio like the treadmill or stair master. It will fill that cardio void. (And, you will again accelerate your heart rate and build endurance!)
Supersetting Speed Tips and Strategies
Work on antagonistic muscle groups. For example, you can:
- Train your biceps, then train triceps
- Train chest followed by training back
- Combine doing a bicep curl followed by a tricep dip
In the third example, there’s no movement in the bicep curl that should exhaust your triceps. And, there’s nothing about a tricep dip that should exhaust your bicep. Therefore, you can still hit the next set hard!
So you see, supersetting can provide more flexibility, too. Another great tip is:
Pick your exercises before you enter your gym. If you plan to train two muscle groups,
- Have a predetermined number of exercises you want to do for each muscle group.
- Work through your list. Then If time permits and if you’re up for it,
- Add more exercises to the end of your workout.
GAT sport has some very helpful pre-workout and post-workout products that can help you prep for superset sessions and recover from them.
Take a GAT Sport pre-workout a half hour before training: The popular Nitraflex Advanced formulation can amplify muscle pumps, heighten energy levels, increase strength, enhance focus, improve stamina, boost free testosterone, and lower estrogen levels.
GAT Sport Jetfuel fat burners are designed to help your body burn excess body fat. They do this in a variety of thermogenic ways, like surpassing your appetite so you eat less often. Since 2005, Jetfuel has a legendary track record of helping its users reach their weight loss goals.
Use a GAT Sport post-workout after training, along with a great GAT recovery product: JetMASS provides a superior Creatine-driven formulation for athletes with goals for exercise-induced gains in muscle, strength and performance. It’s specifically formulated to speed recovery times.
For recovery from what the accelerated supersetting activity does to muscles, use FLEXX EAAs. It delivers all 9 Essential Amino Acids (EAAs) for complete muscle preservation, energy, enhanced endurance, and recovery. You can actually drink it all day. All those GAT products also have additional benefits to be discovered on their linked product pages.
Are supersets right for you?
While training sessions comprised of supersets are highly effective, the approach might not be appealing to everyone. For example: if you’re looking to get strong on a specific exercise, you need to allow yourself enough time between sets to rest and recover.
However, if you’re looking to get a good overall workout completed in a faster period of time, or, if you’re looking to burn body fat, supersetting may be your ideal routine accelerator!
Give supersetting a try, and see if it’s right for you.